Painting with balloons and bubble-wrap creates surprising patterns through this curious tactile art making activity.
- Card-stock or other heavy paper
- Balloons (filled halfway with air)
- Bubble wrap in a variety of sizes
- Tempera Paint
- Paper plates
- Prepare your little artist’s palette by placing 2 to 3 dollops of tempera paint on a paper plate.
- Give your little artist the half filled balloon and/or the bubble-wrap in a variety of sizes.
- Encourage your little artist to hold on tight to their balloon and dip it in the paint, then press it onto the paper. Repeat with the bubble-wrap. Look together for the surprising patterns that are printed.
- Show your little artist how to dip their balloon or bubble-wrap into two colors of paint at the same time then press onto the paper and watch how the colors blend.
- Avoid over filling the balloon with air as it becomes difficult to hold.
Before or after your balloon and bubble-wrap painting project, read the book Mix It Up! by Herve Tullet together with your little artist.